Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Chilling in this Heat

I have been busy for a while with my thesis work and my project reviews that i haven't posted anything new. Finally I am done with my M-Tech and yes i graduated with flying colors :) All that hard work and sleep deprived nights did pay well. 

Before i go into the usual job hunting phase, i thought i should take a break and here i am sitting in my room holding a laptop and the temperature here is 37 degrees plus.Its scorching heat outside. The kind of heat that could burn you, if you stand continuously for an hour or so outside. Ahhhhhhhhhhh...... So the vacation idea is kind a spoiled. But still i manage by going into dream land by holding a book in my hand. 

Books are definitely a great idea to escape from this terrible reality ;-) This month started of as a very busy month and lots of unexpected and sad stuffs happened in my life. But i manage to brave out with my smile. Haa!!!! Life is definitely a mixture of ups and downs. 


75% downs and 25% ups 


I hadn't managed to read anything new, until this week :( So i kick started my bookish-self by reading a chick-lit. I love chick-lit. Everyone does. They really do know how to change your mood and bring back a smile (well, at least in my case). I started on with "The Undomestic Goddess" by Sophie Kinsella. This was my second book of Sophie Kinsella. Earlier I had read "I've got your number" based on a recommendation from GR friend and I loved her writing. 






So i didn't hesitate a little when i saw this book and instantly started reading it. Thanks to eBooks and eBook readers, you needn't have to wait for your shipment :D :D This was another hilarious read and I enjoyed it a lot. I was so addicted to reading that I had to skip dinner, which normally happens when my brain is working. 

The book is about a Workaholic lawyer Samantha Sweeting, who is very intelligent and has zero social life, managed to end up doing a mistake which cost her firm a loss of 50 million dollars. She had put her heart and soul into this job and was working very hard to become the youngest partner of her law firm when this unexpected happen. She vanishes off, having had a nervous breakdown and ends up in a country side village where she is mistakenly taken in for the job of a housekeeper. 

The story then speaks of how she manages to learn the art of cooking and cleaning and maintaining a house and how she finds it all pleasant and happy, how she finally finds herself a happy place.

At one point she has no idea how to use an iron and tells her boss that she can't figure it out because she's "far more used to working with a Nimbus 2000". it was quite a funny read. 

Sam's character was smart, witty and finally she manages to show maturity.
The book offered nothing but fun and laughter :) Well, I loved everything about the book, the way how the message was delivered. You put in too much effort and sometimes you don't get anything back. Too much commitment can destroy you. Having a life is sometimes very important.

Sophie Kinsella manages to bring in the ultimate message through fun and laughter and that's what I like about her writing. 
I would definitely like to read more of her work.  I recommend it all Kinsella fans and also chick-lit lovers :)

4/5 stars.

Now that i have revived i would definitely go back to my old reading list. Here's a peek at my kindle list. 




The next on the list is Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. 
                                                                                               

Meanwhile on the other side, i did perform my duty of being an Indian by casting my vote :) 




Hope all of you did too !!!!!!

So now i am signing off and will be back soon :)

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment